Tennis Central Men: #18 Tennessee to #10 Georgia
ATHENS, Georgia — The No. 18-ranked Tennessee men’s tennis team is preparing for its 18th game of the season, traveling to Georgia to face the No. 10-ranked Bulldogs on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET.
Tennessee enters the game having won three straight games. Live stats and the live stream of Saturday’s game can be found here.
LAST TIME OUT
The Vols cruised to a 5-2 win at Alabama on Thursday night, earning the doubles point for the 15th time this season.
Tennessee (12-5, 3-1 SEC) has won three of Georgia’s last four meetings, with the Vols’ last win coming in the quarterfinals of the 2022 SEC Tournament in Athens, 4-1, against the Bulldogs. Georgia (10-5, 4-0 SEC) leads the all-time streak 66-35-1, dating back to 1947. A win would mark Tennessee’s third straight victory over the Bulldogs when the game is played in Athens.
FLIGHTS IN THE RANKING
#7 – Johannus Monday
#62 – Emile Hudd
#120 – Shunsuke Mitsui
#4 – Pat Harper/Johannus Monday
#50 – Emile Hudd/Shunsuke Mitsui
BULLDOGS IN THE CLASSIFICATION
#2 – Ethan Quinn
#15 – Philippe Henning
#90 – Blake Croyder
#101 – Theodore Giusca
#11 – Trent Bryde / Ethan Quinn
• Johannus Monday, a two-time ITA singles All-American, is 24-2 in both singles and doubles this spring. At 12-1 in singles and 12-1 in doubles this spring, 18 of those 24 total wins are No. 1 in the roster (9-1 in No. 1 singles and 9-1 in No. 1 doubles) . Monday is one of four players in the country currently ranked in the ITA’s top five in doubles and top 10 in singles.
HUDD EYES THE MARK OF THE CENTURY
• Winning the doubles point alongside Shunsuke Mitsui on Thursday in Alabama, Tennessee’s Emile Hudd picked up the 90th doubles victory of his career. More than half of those wins (47 of 90) have come in the Tennessee Orange. Hudd has 43 doubles wins while playing at Oklahoma State.
HISTORY IN SIGHT
• Pat Harper, with 88 career doubles wins at Tennessee, is seven wins out of the top 10 on the program’s all-time doubles wins list. If he reached 100 career doubles wins by the end of the season, he would only become the ninth Vol to do so in a career.
• With the ITA’s March 7 update to its singles and doubles rankings, Tennessee has placed in the top 10 in singles or top 10 in doubles in 18 of the last 19 updates. doubles season rankings, dated March 24, 2021. This week, UT has a top-10 ranking in both singles and doubles. Monday is ranked No. 7 in singles and the duo of Monday and Harper come in at No. 4 in doubles.
• Harper is 43-18 (17-3 SEC) in his career at Tennessee at No. 1 in doubles, including an 11-2 (3-0 SEC) record at the top of the doubles roster this season .
• On Monday, there is one win less than 50 career doubles wins.
• Mitsui needs another doubles victory to achieve his 50th career doubles triumph.
• Tennessee is 5-0 on Saturdays this season.
FACTS ABOUT ATHENS
• Athens is the birthplace of America’s first gardening club
• With a population of 130,873 in 2023, Athens is the fifth largest city in Georgia.
Tennessee returns home for a game against No. 11 Columbia on Friday, with first serve scheduled for 4 p.m. ET.
For the most up-to-date program information, follow Tennessee Men’s Tennis on Twitter and Instagram and like us on Facebook.